Complying and Exempt Development

Complying and Exempt Development
Building plan
If you're thinking about building or developing in our City, it's important to know not all building work will require Council's consent. Complying Exempt Development canterbury bankstown If you're thinking about building or developing in our City, it's important to know not all building work will require Council's consent. Building; Planning
Building plans


If you are thinking about building or developing in Canterbury-Bankstown, it is important to recognise that not all building work requires the consent of Council.  

In some cases common minor works such as carports, air conditioners, swimming pools, cutting down trees, fences, etc. do not require Council approval if they satisfy certain pre-determined standards or criteria.  

The legislation can be found below, and you can follow the links for more information. 

Exempt development

Exempt d​evelopment is development that has minimal environmental impact on neighbouring amenity where, subject to satisfying pre-determined standards, there is no need for any planning or construction approval.  

Complying development

Complying de​velopment is development that complies with development standards for a particular type of development. Planning and construction approval can be obtained with the lodgement of a complying development certificate application with Council or a Private Certifier.  

Council has a team of registered certifiers who can work with you and your building professionals to obtain a CDC. Council’s registered certifiers are experts in relevant planning legislation, offering cost-effective, efficient and highly accurate assessments.

If, because of the nature of your work or development it falls outside the pre-determined standards of exempt or complying development then you will be required to lodge a development application with Council. ​​​​

Unauthorised development

Generally, most permissible development requires consent from Council including:

  • The use of land;
  • The subdivision of land;
  • The erection of a building;
  • The carrying out of a work (such as drainage or engineering work); and
  • The demolition of a building.

As Council is the appropriate regulatory authority, all unauthorised development reported is investigated by Council's Environmental Health and Compliance Officers. If a serious breach has occurred causing adverse environmental impacts and posing a potential threat to public health and safety, Council will commence enforcement action. Failing to obtain consent to carry out development is unauthorised and can result in on-the-spot fines (from $3,000 for an individual and $6,000 for a corporation), in accordance with the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

More information 

For more information about how to seek approval for your proposed development, contact Council's Duty Planner on 9707 9000. 

If you would like Council to investigate a potentially unauthorised development or for further information, contact Council's Environmental Health and Compliance Unit on 9707 9000. ​

The City of Canterbury Bankstown acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land, water and skies of Canterbury-Bankstown, the Darug (Darag, Dharug, Daruk, Dharuk) People. We recognise and respect Darug cultural heritage, beliefs and relationship with the land. We acknowledge the First Peoples’ continuing importance to our CBCity community.