Save water at home

Save water at home
Photo of a water efficient Shower Head
There are many simple and inexpensive things you can do around your home to save water. We’ve compiled a list to make life easier. Save Water Home canterbury bankstown There are many simple and inexpensive things you can do around your home to save water. We’ve compiled a list to make life easier.  
Photo of a water efficient Shower Head

​​​​

Water is the most common substance on earth however 97% of the earth’s water is saltwater. This is not suitable for us to drink. The other 3% of the earth’s water is fresh water, but even this is mostly inaccessible to us locked up in groundwater and as ice. This leaves us just 0.0075% of the earth’s water suitable to for us to use. Australia is the driest inhabited content in the world and it is therefore important that we use the little water we have effectively and do not waste it. 
Did you know a leaking tap can waste up to 2,000 litres of water a month? Simple changes in habit and home maintenance can save thousands of litres of wasted water and reduce your water bill. 

What can you do? 

  • Regularly check and fix any leaking taps, toilets and showers to prevent wastage.
  • Water plants in the morning or evening. Avoiding the heat ​of the day limits evaporation ensuring that more of your water reaches your plants. 
  • Take shorter showers
  • Turn off taps while brushing teeth of saving 
  • Ensure dishwasher is full before running a cycle
  • Look for water and energy efficient appliances when purchasing
  • Install water efficient showers and toilet systems 
  • Plant native plants, these are naturally adapted to the local conditions over thousands of years and will require less watering 
  • Use a broom rather than a hose to clean driveways, paved areas and paths. 
  • Install a rainwater tank​ or greywater system in your home.

More information

For more information, visit Syd​ney Water

The City of Canterbury Bankstown acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land, water and skies of Canterbury-Bankstown, the Darug (Darag, Dharug, Daruk, Dharuk) People. We recognise and respect Darug cultural heritage, beliefs and relationship with the land. We acknowledge the First Peoples’ continuing importance to our CBCity community.