Food businesses

Food businesses
Photo of a person stacking cakes on a rack
There are many premises that are to be declared food businesses by law. There are many stringent policies and procedures that must be followed. food businesses canterbury bankstown There are many premises that are to be declared food businesses by law. There are many stringent policies and procedures that must be followed.  
Photo of a person stacking cakes on a rack


​There are around 1,500 food businesses operating within our City. Types of food businesses include:

  • Cafes and restaurants
  • Supermarkets and convenience stores
  • Delicatessens
  • Takeaway outlets
  • Mobile food vendors
  • Temporary food stalls
  • Home-based food businesses
  • Child care centres and school canteens.

Council's Environmental Health Officers undertake inspections of all food premises to ensure compliance with food safety requirements and to minimise the likelihood of foodborne illness within the community.

All food premises must be designed, constructed and operated in accordance with the following requirements:

Council conducts a minimum of one inspection per annum of all food premises operating within the LGA to ensure compliance with food safety requirements. A fee is charged for this inspection in accordance with Council's fees and charges schedule.

All food businesses operating within the City of Canterbury Bankstown must register their details with Council. To register a new food business or to notify of any changes, please complete a registration form and return to Council.

Whilst carrying out inspections, Council's Environmental Health Officers focus on a wide range of issues including:

  • Cleanliness of the premises
  • Temperature control
  • Hygiene and food handling practices
  • Pest control
  • Construction and maintenance of the premises

Council has an educational and regulatory role in enforcing food safety legislation. Council's Environmental Health Officers have a number of options when dealing with breaches of food safety legislation including verbal warnings, closure of the business, issuing penalty infringements (on-the-spot fines) or legal proceedings. 

Name and Shame Register 

The Name and Shame Register published by the NSW Food Authority details all penalty infringements and legal proceedings that have been issued by Councils.

Scores on Doors

Council  participates in the 'Scores on Doors' hygiene and food safety program. The program enables consumers to make an informed choice about where to dine in Canterbury-Bankstown. ​

During routine food inspections, Council's Environmental Health Officers assess food businesses such as restaurants, cafes, bakeries and takeaways against a food safety checklist and assign a star rating reflecting their performance. Businesses achieving a five star (excellent), four star (very good) or three star (good) hygiene and food safety rating are awarded a certificate that should be displayed in a prominent position, usually the front window or door. ​

Frequently Asked Questions

I need the following documents so I can apply for Uber Eats. Can Council please send me:

•A certificate of business notification

No - Council does not have a 'certificate of business notification', as this is no longer required by the NSW Food Authority.

~ If you have been inspected by Council, the paperwork we provide you ie an inspection report, demonstrates that your business is registered with Council.

•​Health Inspection Certificate (eg Scores on Doors)

Council issues 'Scores of Doors' certificates based on the performance of a food business during their health inspection.

~ If the business is fully compliant, or only has minor breaches, you will receive a certificate.

~ If the business has a number of breaches, or critical food safety issues, the business will not receive a certificate.​

* Please note: Scores on Doors certificates are only issued for the 'primary inspection', ie the first unannounced inspection.

If Council is required to reinspect your business due to breaches of the food legislation, a certificate will not be issued following this reinspection.

•​Health Inspection Report/Assessment

Yes – Council provides a health inspection report following our inspection of your business.

If you have lost your original, you may contact to request a copy.

You must provide the following details with your request, or your request will not be processed:

  1. Your Name (& company name, if applicable)
  2. ABN
  3. Shop Name
  4. Business Address​
  5. Contact Phone Number

I'm a new business owner and I have not had an inspection from Council yet.

If you are a new owner of a business, you must ensure you have registered your details with Council. This can be done by completing and returning the registration form, which is available on our Enforcement and Compliance forms page.

More information

The NSW Food Authority has developed a range of food saf​ety resources to assist in educating food businesses and consumers.


To further assist food businesses in complying with food safety requirements, Council's Environmental Health Officers conduct free food handling ​training in various languages. 

For more information, contact Council's Public Health Unit on ​9707 9000.

The City of Canterbury Bankstown acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land, water and skies of Canterbury-Bankstown, the Darug (Darag, Dharug, Daruk, Dharuk) People. We recognise and respect Darug cultural heritage, beliefs and relationship with the land. We acknowledge the First Peoples’ continuing importance to our CBCity community.