Pollution Control Devices

Pollution Control Devices
Cooks River Litter Boom
Read about the different types of Pollution Control Devices (PCDs) and how they are used to protect our local environment from pollutants. Pollution Control Devices canterbury bankstown Read about the different types of Pollution Control Devices (PCDs) and how they are used to protect our local environment from pollutants. Environmental Programs; Environmental Health; Environment


The City of Canterbury Bankstown has more than 75 Pollution Control Devices (PCDs) which allow us to protect our local waterways. ​Each device is effective for different types of pollutants and all devices are cleaned and maintained on a needs basis for optimum efficiency. We also have an Officer that investigates and coordinates the response to urgent pollution incidents such as oil and chemical spills. 

  • ​Boom 
    A floating barrier angled across the water course, which is designed to collect litter and retain oil.
  • Trash Rack 
    A type of barrier used to trap litter and organic matter. The litter that is trapped can be large or small including everything from syringes to tyres.
  • Macrophyte Bed 
    Beds of aquatic plants used to promote the removal of nutrients from stormwater by exploiting plants' natural uptake of important nutrients which are necessary for plant growth.
  • Gross Pollutant Trap (GPT) 
    There are many different types, but they all provide a filter for stormwater as they collect litter, oil, organic matter and sediment.
  • Artificial Wetland 
    We have constructed artificial wetlands in our local area as a means of pollution control, designed to have a series of different depths to encourage aquatic plants to occupy shallow areas and allow sediments to settle out of suspension in deeper waters.
  • Lake 
    Lakes can also be considered a pollution control device of sorts as they retain and filter sediments and nutrients from stormwater. Unfortunately, this function also produces ideal conditions for weed growth and algal blooms.
  • Sediment/Pollution Control Pond 
    Artificial water bodies that are used to contain pollution before it enters our rivers or the more sensitive areas of our waterways. ​
  • Oil & Grit Separator 
    A barrier above the water surface that is operational during normal stormwater flow.

Cooks River Litter Booms

Canterbury-Bankstown has partnered with Sydney Water to reduce floating litter on the Cooks River. Three litter boom and traps have been installed at Croydon Park, Boat Harbour in Hurlstone Park and another at Fifth Avenue, Campsie. The traps capture floating litter, which is directed into the trap by the boom and assisted by the outgoing tide.

Boom & Trap

The litter boom and trap have been installed to capture floating litter, which has been blown or washed  from discarded rubbish from our streets and riverside parks. The boom has a floating trap, which provides ease of access for maintenance and regular cleaning. The boom is made of polyethylene, have submerged skirts protruding into the water that deflect floating debris into the collection chamber with the outgoing tide. The one way gate at the opening of the collection prevents the escape of trapped debris. The trap is inspected and serviced weekly to remove the litter.

The booms can capture as much 15 – 18 cubic meters of litter per week. In one year the Boat Harbour boom has removed 435 cubic meters of litter from the Cooks River.  This is equal to 1,812 large wheelie bins.  On average 85% is leaf litter and the remaining 15% is plastics and other rubbish.

The litter booms are emptied on a weekly basis and takes approximately 3 hours to empty. If you notice anything that may be broken or jammed in the traps please let council know on 9707 9000 or email: council@cbcity.nsw.gov.au.

Please help to keep the Cooks River clean by taking your rubbish home with you or putting it in the bin.


Benefits of the Project

  • Meet community expectations of a litter free Cooks River
  • Improve visual amenity
  • Improve habitat for wildlife
  • Improve water quality here, downstream and in Botany Bay
  • Partnership with Sydney Water for ongoing maintenance

This is an initiative of City of Canterbury Bankstown and Sydney Water.

Want to know more about when or Water Quality Devices are cleaned? Visit our Clean Waterways webpage. 


For more information, contact our Customer Service Centre on 9707 9000. ​

The City of Canterbury Bankstown acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land, water and skies of Canterbury-Bankstown, the Darug (Darag, Dharug, Daruk, Dharuk) People. We recognise and respect Darug cultural heritage, beliefs and relationship with the land. We acknowledge the First Peoples’ continuing importance to our CBCity community.